Sunday, 6 May 2012

A Thousand Tweets In: Another Breakdown

Ten months ago I wrote this analysis of my first 100 tweets from my @SaintEvelin Twitter account. I'd opened the account ten days earlier, feeling the need for a more library and reality focussed presence than my existing, increasingly silly feed. Of those 100 tweets, about a quarter were of a professional bent, and the social majority were benefiting from a greater freedom than the caricature of my previous account allowed. Almost a year on and the tally clocked my 1,000th titbit of twattle. Let's take a closer look at these first 1,000 tweets.

The first thing to note is that 212 of them weren't by me; they were retweets (185 straight retweets and 27 modified or otherwise inline retweets (7 marked using "MT"). 414 of my tweets were specifically directed to one or more other users, while 503 (over half) contained a username at some point within the tweet (476 allowing for the aforementioned inline retweets, leaving 62 others which are in almost all cases further retweet-style references or credits). 206 of my tweets contained a web address, and 247 made use of a hashtag.

Here's a timeline of my twitterings. The wiggly line shows the accumulation of tweets. 


"Hello, World!"
Glastonbury
Dissertating
#libday7
Riots
Hols
Wedding duties
2 long CPD23 posts
Start knitting
CiN fancy dress
Christmas
New Year
My first #uklibchat
#libday8
Reading '70s VINE
Hols
1,000th tweet
Almost certainly, that sort of table-play I just employed for the annotations won't work very effectively in the limited realm of Blogger (if this were a normal web-page I'd've done tool-tips with an image-map), but you get the idea, I hope: a steady stream of tweets punctuated by weekends away from the screen, the odd holiday and the occasional moment of frenzied activity.

As to what I've been tweeting about, here's a not particularly helpful pie-chart:


The greens represent categories of tweeting within the area of Libraries and Information Technology, the reds are Arts and Entertainment, the greys are Conversation and Parish Notices, blues are Science and Sociology, and yellows are Sport. About a third of my twittering is library-related (up from a quarter after the first 100 tweets), with another third devoted to what amusements pass my way. I think this is a fair split, and a reasonable vindication for my setting up of this second account, but I could probably make more of an effort to keep up my Twitter-presence. I average about 3 tweets a day, which is significantly less than some users (albeit significantly more than others).

I leave you with a tabular breakdown of those categories:

LIBRARIES & I.T. ARTS & ENTERTAINMENTS
#libday posts 64
Inoformation Technology 60
Libraries (general) 49
My blog posts 46
Blog retweets 28
Library Camp 21
Workplace tweets 17
Dissertation 13
Google+ 13
Job hunting 12
Twitter 11
e-texts 9
Library education 9
Jokes and amusing tweets 77
Fashion 50
Television 45
Music 24
Food and Drink 20
Literature and words 20
Eurovision 19
Glastonbury 19
Knitting 16
Radio 15
Photographs 13
Film 12
"Labyrinth" 6
Design 5
"Chalet School" 4
Travel 3
Lego 2


CONVERSATION & STATUS SCIENCE & SOCIOLOGY
General conversation 149
Parish Notices 32
Tweets about me 7
Feminisim 31
Politics 15
Public transport 12
Riots 8
Wildlife 7
Last shuttle flight 5
Wasps 4
Weather 2

SPORT
Cricket 10
Football 5
Formula 1 4

No comments:

Post a Comment